Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Genesis - Bible in 90 Days!

This was our first Wednesday night discussing The Bible in 90 Days challenge at TOP! It’s a lot to read I know but, it’s an hour a day to accomplish what many Christians find to be an integral part of their walk with God. I think it’s important to know what we believe. This is a very good place to familiarize yourself with that on a deeper level. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll join us.


This week we talked about the theme of Genesis. The theme includes the loss of God’s presence because of man’s disobedience and His effort to re-establish it. Chapters 1-11 discusses the advance of sin as God saw that the thoughts and intents of man’s hearts were wicked. That’s never more apparent than when men decided to rely on their own ideas to re-establish contact. In their minds they believed they could build a tower so high that the gods could descend out of heaven to talk with them face to face. This thought process shows that sin had caused a distorted view. A wrong concept of God had perverted men’s reasoning. As we know, their idea didn’t work. And, in Chapters 12-50 we see God initiating His plan to reveal himself to people that were truly in pursuit of His presence. This is where we see Abraham’s entrance.


Many of us associate circumcision with Abraham. Thinking about circumcision I asked God why He initiated something as severe. His answer surprised me. He said, “Because I knew every day, every man would touch the covenant. I knew they would be very familiar with that part of their body. And I knew that anyone else who touched that part of their body would also be very familiar. In a similar way a man knows his own body, I wanted him to know me.”


God isn’t trying to hide from you. Just how intimately do you want to know God? Enough to be so familiar with His provision, His covenant, that you accept it as you do your own body? Is it so present on your mind that you purpose to make it a necessary part of your daily life? My prayer is that it is and that your life is the proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment